(Past 3 years)
(Past 3 years)
1. J Bailly, S Louw, A de Koker, JJC Potgieter, MJ Coetzee, ZC Chapanduka, JJ Opie. Guidelines for lupus anticoagulant testing in South Africa. The Journal of Medical Laboratory Science & Technology South Africa 2020; 2(1):6-12. Open Access. https://doi.org/10.36303/JMLSTSA.2020.2.1.39
2. L Alves de Souza Rios, B Cloete, S Mowla. Activation induced cytidine deaminase: in sickness and in health. Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology 2020; Published: 09 August 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-020-03348-x
3. S Cassim, K Antel, D R Chetty, J Oosthuizen, J Opie, Z Mohamed, E Verburgh. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in a South African cohort with a high HIV prevalence: an analysis by cell-of-origin, Epstein–Barr virus infection and survival. Pathology; 2020, 52(4): 453-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pathol.2020.02.007
4. R Shein, J du Toit, M Goeijenbier, C du Toit, E Verburgh. HIV-associated and idiopathic-acquired haemophilia A: A single-centre case series from Cape Town, South Africa. The Netherlands Journal of Medicine (July 2020), 78(4): 196-201.
5. K Shires, A Rust. Novel multiplex RT-PCR assay to detect BCR/ABL mRNA variants. The Journal of Medical Laboratory Science & Technology South Africa 2020; 2(1):29-35. Open Access Article. https://doi.org/10.36303/JMLSTSA.2020.2.1.15
6. K Antel, J Oosthuizen, F Malherbe, V J Louw, M P Nicol, G Maartens and E Verburgh. Diagnostic accuracy of the Xpert MTB/Rif Ultra for tuberculosis adenitis. BMC Infectious Diseases 2020; 20:33. Open Access Article. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-019-4749-x
7. J Opie, K Antel, A Koller, N Novitzky. In the South African setting, HIV-associated Burkitt lymphoma is associated with frequent leukaemic presentation, complex cytogenetic karyotypes, and adverse clinical outcomes. Annals of Hematology 2020, Mar;99(3):571-578. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-018-3533-0
8. Correspondence. RD Wise, MW Gibbs, VJ Louw. Lockdown and our national supply of blood products. SAMJ Published online 2 April 2020. https://doi.org/10.7196/SAMJ.2020.v110i5.14749
9. Shander, Aryeh; Goobie, Susan M; Warner, Matthew A; Aapro, Matti; Bisbe, Elvira; Perez-Calatayud, Angel A; Callum, Jeannie; Cushing, Melissa M; Dyer, Wayne B; Erhard, Jochen; Faraoni, David; Farmer, Shannon ; Fedorova, Tatyana; Frank, Steven M; Froessler, Bernd; Gombotz, Hans; Gross, Irwin; Guinn, Nicole R; Haas, Thorsten; Hamdorf, Jeffrey; Isbister, James P; Javidroozi, Mazyar; Ji, Hongwen; Kim, Young-Woo; Kor, Daryl J; Kurz, Johann; Lasocki, Sigismond; Leahy, Michael F; Lee, Cheuk-Kwong; Lee, Jeong Jae; Louw, Vernon; Meier, Jens; Mezzacasa, Anna; Munoz, Manuel; Ozawa, Sherri; Pavesi, Marco; Shander, Nina; Spahn, Donat R; Spiess, Bruce D; Thomson, Jackie; Trentino, Kevin; Zenger, Christoph; Hofmann, Axel; on behalf of the International Foundation of Patient Blood Management (IFPBM) and Society for the Advancement of Blood Management (SABM) Work Group. COVID-19 ARTICLES: Essential Role of Patient Blood Management in a Pandemic: A Call for Action. Anesthesia & Analgesia July 2020,131(1): 74-85. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000004844
10. Correspondence. K Van Den Berg, M Vermeulen, TN Glatt, S Wasserman, CI Barrett, J Peter, D Brittain, VJ Louw. COVID-19: Convalescent plasma as a potential therapy. SAMJ 2020 July; 110(7): 562-563.
1. Tomaisichio M, Semple L, Esmail A, Meldau R, Randall, Pooran N, Davids M, Cairncross L, Anderson D, Downs J, Malherbe F, Novitzky N , Panieri E, Oelofse S, Londt R, Naiker T, Dheda K. An autologous dentritic cell vaccine polarizes a Th-1 response which is tumoricidal to patient-derived breast cancer cells Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy (2019), 68: 71-83.
2. Swart L, Novitzky N, Mohamed Z, Opie, J. Hodgkin lymphoma at Groote Schuur Hospital, South Africa: the effect of HIV and bone marrow infiltration. Annals of Hematology 2019, 98: 381-389.
3. Mapekula L, Romarola BR, Goolam Hoosen T, Mowla S. The interplay between viruses & host microRNAs in cancer – An emerging role for HIV in oncogenesis. Critical Reviews in Oncology / Hematology (2019), 137: 108-114.
4. Antel K, Levetan C, Mohamed Z, Louw VJ, Oosthuizen J, Maartens G, Verburgh E. The determinants and impact of diagnostic delay in lymphoma in a TB and HIV endemic setting. BMC Cancer (2019), 19:384. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-019-5586-4
5. Shires K, Xulu K, Rust A. Letter to the Editor: Development of a Multiplex assay to detect TERC and TERT mutations associated with immunosuppression therapy failure in Aplastic Anemia patients. International Journal of Laboratory Hematology 2019, 41: e27-e31.
1. Phillips L and Opie J. The utility of bone marrow sampling in the diagnosis and staging of lymphoma in South Africa. Int J Lab Hematol. 2018 Feb 10, 40:276-283.
2. Cassim S and Ntobongwana M. Disseminated Cryptococcal Disease of the Bone Marrow, Cerebrospinal Fluid and Blood in an ART-Naȉve Patient with Advance HIV: A Case Report. Diagnostic Pathology 2018, 3(2): Pg’s 1-5. Open Access. DOI: 10.4172/2476-2024.1000139
3. Dzobo K, Hassen N, Senthebane, DA, Thomford NE, Rowe A, Shipanga H, Wonkam A, Parker MI, Mowla S and Dandara C. Chemoresistance to Cancer Treatment: Benzo-α-Prene as friend or Foe? Molecules 2018, 23, 930: Pg’s 1-23. Open Access. DOI: 10.3390/molecules23040930
4. Shires K and Van Wyk T. The role of Cancer/Testis Antigens in Multiple Myeloma pathogenesis and their application in disease monitoring and therapy. Critical Reviews in Oncology / Hematology 2018, 132: 17-26.
1. Pule GD, Mnika K, Joubert M, Mowla S, Novitzky N, Wonkam A. Burden, genotype and phenotype profiles of adult patients with sickle cell disease in Cape Town, South Africa. SAMJ, February 2017, 107(2): 149-155.
2. Van Eyssen A, Novitzky N , De Witt P, Schlaphoff T, Thomas V, Pillay D, Hendricks M, Davidson A. Single-centre experience of allogeneic haemapoietic stem cell transplant in paediatric patients in Cape Town, South Africa. SAMJ, March 2017, 107(3): 232—238.
3. Opie J, Omar F, Huang HC, Sandler L, Ross I. Primary Hyperparathyroidism manifesting as pancytopenia. Pathology, April 2017, 49(3): 326-329.